Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nyack, New York

This past Saturday we headed up to Nyack, NY for the day.  We visited Palisades Mall, walked around the town of South Nyack, and even got to spend some time with the ducks near the shore of the Hudson River. Ethan (my son) behaved wonderfully except for when we dined for breakfast and lunch. After this weekend sadly for us, my husband and I have finally come to the realization that gone are the days when Ethan will sit peacefully in a highchair at a restaurant. Maybe we were spoiled for a while and I suppose he’s beginning to act his age (impatient, angry, stubborn, and selfish), but it’s still a hard pill to swallow.
It all began during breakfast at the diner when Ethan grabbed one of the syrup packets and managed to squeeze it so hard that it exploded all over my jeans and on his legs and sandals. 

My first inclination was to immediately yell and get upset. “Like seriously, how much syrup is in this tiny packet!?”  It was everywhere! I had just washed my pink jeans which looked so cute on me (haha).  On top of that I had forgotten to pack Ethan’s wipes, which made clean up a nightmare. My husband immediately assumed I was going to explode and thought to himself, “the day is over, we’re going home.”  Much to my husband’s surprise (and myself for that matter),  I took a deep breath, smiled, and whispered... Grace… oh sweet Grace.  By God’s grace I immediately recognized my sin. 

How could I have been so selfish to let a stain on my jeans (which can be washed over and over again) ruin what turned out to be a beautiful day with my family? How could I get so angry at my 17 month old for something he clearly had no idea what he was doing? How could I not show grace to my son when God has shown so much grace to me over and over again when I didn't deserve it? How could I forgot the gospel again for the quadrillionth time?  But alas, such is the human heart, it is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? (Jer 17:9) But thank God for Jesus!

So as I took the packet from him, he looked at me as if he knew he had done something wrong, but I look at him and smiled.  We then got some napkins and wet them with water and cleaned his legs and feet, then lastly cleaning my jeans.  By the way, wiping syrup off from a pair of  jeans is a big no no! It leaves pieces of napkins everywhere. So for you moms out there, whatever you do, do not forget to pack your wipes!
Thus, began our sweet day; with syrup all over us. And I know what you’re thinking, what happened at lunch? That story.. we’ll leave it for another time. :)

I’m so thankful for God’s work in me as He is conforming me to the image of Christ and will use whatever means necessary, even a tiny syrup packet.
Thank you Lord for great your love and unearned grace.
"For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." - John 1:16

(Please excuse the poor quality pics from my iphone)































3 comments:

  1. Bueno, I would have definitely said "Let's go Home" but I love how you emphasized how God's grace works in our lives. Sometimes we don't stop to think on how many times we mess up amazing moments in our lives, because of anger or selfishness. Great Job on not letting those little "bad" moments hinder your time with your family or your pure joy!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are gorgeous! love your hair !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Valley Cottage which is a town over from Nyack. I grew up in Upper Nyack. It's wonderful to see photos of places I've been to my entire life!! :) Thanks for sharing the photos!!

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete