Friday, June 28, 2013

A Good Night Prayer

Last night as he slept, I prayed for my son Ethan. I actually don't remember ever praying over him as he slept, but needless to say, it was an amazing experience! I believe there is power in prayer and what a joy it is to know that God answers, whether we’re pleased with His response or not. As I laid my hand over his head, I began to pray for Ethan’s protection, physical and mental health, and for peace and rest as he slept. I then prayed for his future. I prayed that he would grow up to be a good man, a hard worker, and a good husband and father. To marry a good woman who fears The Lord (like me hehe), and to raise as many children as God would have him do so.

I prayed that he would love others well and that he would be a good friend. I prayed for him to make wise decisions and to be a good steward of the resources that will be entrusted to him. But must importantly, I prayed for his salvation. That he would ultimately love Jesus above all else and see Him as his treasure. To honor Him as King and to worship Him as Lord.  To walk in His ways and as the Psalmist declares, that he would delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night.

Finally, I prayed for myself. I prayed that if God doesn't grant me all these things that I would trust Him and know that He is sovereign over all and that He is working all things for good to those who love Him. I prayed that I would continually be reminded of the gospel; that whether or not Ethan goes up to be a “good” man or if he totally blows it, that my love for him isn't determined by his performance rather in that there is nothing that he can do to earn my love and there is nothing he can do to forfeit my love.







3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog.. And this one touched me and I can definitely relate. Although I am not currently visiting a church and not fervently seeking God, praying for JJ has and will continue to be a big part of our lives. It's amazing how JJ will not sleep without me praying for her and this teaches her how important prayer is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious. Prayer is indeed powerful. We (try to) pray over our son every night. Still cannot believe that God would gift us with such a sweet little life.

    Thanks for joining the Mom-Lovin Hop!

    XOXO/Lena @ RootandBlossom

    ReplyDelete